The Full Story
Shasta Abortion Coalition is a collective of local women, our allies and progressive organizations:
We are united in outrage at the Supreme Court's draft decision to overturn Roe v Wade, and at the nationwide eradication of abortion rights at the state level. We formed Shasta Abortion Coalition to turn this outrage into action in defense of the right to abortion in our community, our state and our country — for ourselves, our mothers, our sisters, our daughters, and our granddaughters. Abortion is essential health care, and we refuse to be handmaids. We will not allow 21st-century America to regress to the coat-hanger era.... and we pledge to do all we can to end the blatant erasure of 50 years of legal precedent for reproductive justice.
To that end:
• We understand that women's bodies are their own domain, and we stand for abortion on demand, without apology.
• We will help to transport and support women in need of abortion care to travel to Women's Health Specialists from neighboring states for abortion care.
• We will provide advocacy for and share resources with women in need of essential abortion care.
• We will educate our city officials on existing law — the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act of 1994 (FACE) — which makes it a federal crime to physically obstruct the entrance to a clinic or to use force, the threat of force, or physical obstruction, such as a sit-in, to interfere with, injure, or intimidate clinic workers or women seeking abortions or other reproductive health care services, and we will support them in ending harassment and intimidation of clinic clients, workers and volunteers.
• We will volunteer as escorts at our local clinics and encourage others to provide similar support.
• We will encourage women of all ages to share their abortion stories in safe group or private settings to destigmatize abortion, providing collective support to ease the trauma induced by abortion shaming.
• We will provide support and information to young women in need of reproductive health care, including abortion.
• We will support the current and next generation of reproductive health-care workers.
• We will advocate for abortion rights and access in our community, and will identify, support, donate to, campaign and get out the vote for pro-choice local, state and federal candidates for office.